One of the largest fires in this city for sometime occurred at midnight last night when the Fiddler warehouse filled with hay, and the Southern Pacific Company’s ice house, were destroyed.
The alarm was turned in at a few minutes past midnight and the firemen fought the flames until 4 o’clock this morning before getting them under control.
The warehouse was owned by C. B. Bosworth and valued at about $1,000. His loss was covered by $500 insurance. C. E. Patterson had $2,000 worth of baled hay stored in the building covered by $1,275 insurance. Bosworth had a barley crusher stored in his building which was covered by $100 insurance.
The railroad company claim their building loss to be about $300 and a loss of $200 in electrical supplies.
Residences across the street and the Cone & Kimball warehouses caught on fire several times, which was quickly extinguished by the firemen.
The fire is thought to have been set by three hobos seen in that vicinity. They were smoking when seen going up the railroad tracks. The hobos probably entered the building to sleep and carelessly dropped a cigarette or match in the hay.
— Nov. 22, 1919